Monday, April 20, 2015

Romeo & Juliet

I put my own music on hold for a few days to get ready for a performance last Saturday night.
My wife's choir, Exultate Chamber Singers, had their annual fundraiser.  The theme was right up my alley:  London Calling, celebrating English music.
Most of our favourite music is British, so we spent a lot of time choosing which song we would play.  Both being huge David Bowie fans, we ran through a huge chunk of his catalogue.  Nothing felt right.  What about Pulp?  We tried Common People (my preference) and Disco 2000 (Kate's preference), before deciding on Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits.  The song had a more varied dynamic, and seemed more suitable for the intended audience.  My skills are pretty far behind Mark Knopfler's, so it took some work to get it just right.  But I think we did.
I really enjoyed Andre Heywood's version of Your Song by Elton John.  I wish I could have given it more attention, but I was busy tuning my guitar in the back room as we were following him.

Kate did a fantastic job singing such a beautiful song.  And I had an added bonus:  This was the first time that my classic 1974 Fender Telecaster Custom got stage time.  I don't know why it has always taken second place to my other instruments - it's my favourite, with lots of personality and shaping from it's previous owner touring it for over 30 years.  But it was perfect for Romeo & Juliet, nothing else would give me that pretty, twangy, airy tone...

A few audience members told me afterwards that we should start performing more as a duo.  So that might be a future project...

Here's a photo from the performance:






And just to push it, here's a YouTube link to my favourite version of the song:

No comments:

Post a Comment